The electricity distribution zones under the Umeme Ltd/ National Grid are divided into twenty five (25) Umeme districts: across the most of the geographical towns of Uganda except a few areas where the grid does not rich like West Nile and other parts in the North.
Umeme Ltd is the main distribution company in-charge of the main grid with 95% of Uganda’s electricity network.
There are also other players operating in different parts of the country namely:
- Kyegegwa Rural Electricity Cooperative Society Ltd.
- Bundibugyo Energy and Cooperative Society in areas of Bundibugyo and parts of Fort Portal.
- Kilembe Investments Ltd in Kasese area
- Pader-Abim Community Multipurpose Electric Co-operative Society Limited in the North in Pader and Abim areas
- UEDCL off grids in the north and west, North East.
- WENRECo in the West Nile Region.
- Kinyara for own use and grid
- Kakikira for own use and the grid.
- KCCL for own use and the grid and many others